Our next trip to the Food Bank will be from 9-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 16th.
Addressing hunger in Oregon requires strong public and private partnerships. Record numbers are receiving services from the Oregon Food Bank, and in light of recent cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), demand for emergency food assistance is expected to rise even higher!
St. Michael’s Lutheran Church partners with the Oregon Food Bank in several ways:
- We collect food for the Oregon Food Bank. We have a bin that is located in our Fellowship Hall where members and others who wish to support the Food Bank make regular contributions of food. We also have a special Thanksgiving collection at our Thanksgiving service, where members bring an offering of nonperishable foods, which are placed in front of the altar during offering time in thanksgiving for the gifts that God has blessed us with.
- We volunteer at the Oregon Food Bank on the third Saturday of each month from 9-11:30 a.m.
- We serve as advocates for the Oregon Food Bank, sending letters of support and requesting that funding for Oregon Food Bank programs not be cut.
In 2013, St. Michael’s members donated 1,152 pounds of food to the Oregon Food Bank from donations that were collected in our barrel.
In 2013, St. Michael’s volunteers provided the equivalent of 24,706 meals through their service on the third Saturday of each month.
- 2014 Statistics of monthly service: In May 8 members of St. Mike’s volunteered at the Food Bank. Together with other volunteers we processed 14,862 pounds of rice, which works out to the equivalent of 12,385 meals in all, or 158 meals per person working that day. This means that in just 2 1/2 hours, 8 St. Mike’s members were able to provide the equivalent of 1,264 meals!
- Meals provided by St. Mike’s members year to date: 7,321
- Food donations by St. Mike’s members year to date: 441 pounds
Would you like to partner with us?
You are welcome to drop off food to be donated to the Oregon Food Bank in our Food Bank barrel. (Our church secretary is in the church office from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
You are also welcome to join us as we volunteer at the Oregon Food Bank. You do not need to be a member of St. Michael’s to volunteer with us. If you’d like to join us on the third Saturday of the month from 9-11:30 a.m., simply show up at 7900 N.E. 33rd Drive and sign in on St. Michael’s sheet.
Please be aware that you need to wear closed toe shoes in order to participate. Children need to be 6 years or older as per Oregon Food Bank’s requirements. For those who are unable to stand for 2 ½ hours, seated jobs are available.
If you have additional questions, please contact Elvis Schweitzer at 503-307-2368 or visit the Oregon Food Bank website.